Applications of Cinnamaldehyde in Medicine
1. Sterilization, disinfection and antisepsis, especially for fungi. It has inhibitory effects on Escherichia coli, Bacillus subtilis, Staphylococcus aureus, Staphylococcus albus, Shigella dysenteriae, Typhoid and Paratyphoid A, Pneumococcus, Gas Producing Bacillus, Proteus, Bacillus anthracis, Salmonella enteritidis and Vibrio cholerae. And can be used for treating various diseases caused by bacterial infection. The minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) was 0.02-0.07ul/ml, and the MIC for deep pathogenic fungi was 0.1-0.3ul/ml. Studies by Japanese medical experts have found that cinnamaldehyde has remarkable curative effect on fungi. Studies on antifungal effects of cinnamaldehyde on 22 conditionally pathogenic fungi show that cinnamaldehyde is an active substance against fungi, which mainly plays a bactericidal role by destroying fungal cell walls, allowing drugs to penetrate into fungal cells and destroying organelles.
2. Anti-ulcer, strengthen the movement of stomach and intestine. Its mechanism of action is due to the inhibition of ulcer activity factors (gastric juice and pepsin) and the strengthening of defense factors (gastric mucosal blood flow rate), as well as the inhibition of gastric mucosal potential reduction and mucosal protection. In addition, cinnamaldehyde can reduce pancreatic enzyme activity. Cinnamaldehyde is an aromatic stomach-invigorating and wind-expelling agent, which can mildly stimulate the stomach, promote the secretion of saliva and gastric juice, enhance the digestive function, relieve the spasm of gastrointestinal smooth muscle and relieve the spasmodic pain of intestinal tract. It can be used for treating stomachache, flatulence and colic, and has obvious effects of invigorating stomach and expelling wind.
3. Lipolysis. Cinnamaldehyde can inhibit the free fatty acids from adrenaline and ACTH, and promote the fat synthesis of glucose. Cinnamic acid has the same effect, but the effect of cinnamaldehyde is far greater than that of cinnamic acid. Therefore, it can be used in blood sugar control drugs to strengthen the performance of insulin replacing glucose and prevent and treat diabetes.
4. Antiviral effect. It has a strong inhibitory effect on influenza virus and SV10 virus-induced tumor.
5. Anti-cancer effect. It can inhibit the occurrence of tumor, and has anti-mutation and anti-radiation effects.
6. Dilating blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. Has antihypertensive effect on adrenocortical hypertension.
7. Commonly used in external medicine and synthetic medicine. It is used in massage fluid and beauty products to disperse congestion, promote blood circulation, warm skin and compact skin tissue. External application of massage can make limbs and body comfortable and improve water retention. It can soften and remove skin scar and fibroma. It can also be used in external medicine such as safflower oil, cool oil and activating collaterals oil. It can activate collaterals and bones, disperse blood stasis, and has the effects of sedation, analgesia, antipyretic, anticonvulsant, and regulation of central nervous system. It can also increase the number of white blood cells and platelets. It also has strong fungicidal effect and suppresses skin fungi. In a word, cinnamaldehyde can not only be used as a raw material drug, but also be added to various external and finished drugs, and can be further processed to synthesize many powerful drugs.