Product name: Ethyl cinnamate
Synonyms: Cinnamic acid ethyl ester; Ethyl trans-cinnamate; 3-Phenyl-2-propenoic acid, ethyl ester; 2-Propenoic acid, 3-phenyl-, ethyl ester
CAS No: 103-36-6
Molecular Formula: C11H12O2
Molecular Weight: 176.21
Melting Point: 6-8 degrees Celsius
Boiling Point: 271.5 degrees Celsius
Flash Point: 93.5 degrees Celsius
Viscosity: (mPas, 20 degrees Celsius) 8.7
Refractive index: (20 degrees Celsius) 1.5598
Appearance: colorless to yellow liquid
Stability: stable. incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, acids, bases, reducing agents. combustible.
Packing: 200kgs / plastic drum
Storage: store in a cool, dry, ventilated area away from sources of heat or ignition.
Ethyl cinnamate is also known as Cinnamic Acid Ethyl Ester or Ethyl trans-cinnamate. At room temperature, it appears as colorless oily liquid. It is naturally presented in guava, strawberries, white and red wine, brandy, rum, vanilla and prickly pear. Aroma characterization: sweet amber cream, sweet orange and grape-like rhyme with elegant fragrance of balsam and honey-fragrance. Flavor: strong sweet fruit, plum, cherry-like scent, sweet fruit flavor, fragrance incense, berries, mixed sweet drinks, green incense with vanilla fragrant orchid fragrance. It can be used for the formulation of edible fragrance of almond, vanilla, cinnamon, honey, berries, mixed sweet drinks, fragrance flavor, spicy type, grape and cherry flavors.
Usage of Ethyl cinnamate (Ethyl trans-cinnamate):
1. it can be used as food spices allowable for temporary use. it is mainly used for the preparation of strawberry, raspberry and plum, cherry and other type of flavor. owing to the high boiling point and stability, it is appropriate to be used for baked goods.
2. it is an important kind of fragrance and spices intermediates. it can also be used as the intermediates of medicine and food additives.
3. it can be used for the perfume industry.
4. it is suitable to be applied to the roses, daffodils, ambergris-amber, citrus incense, fern, chypre, cologne, re-oriental and woody-incense and other flavor. it can be used to coordinate the other ointment in the soap, toiletries water and powder flavor and also has incense fixative effect. it can also be used as flavoring agent to be applied to flavor such as cherry, grape, strawberry, raspberry, peach, plum, cinnamon, spicy and vanilla bean.
5. it can be used as the incense fixative agent and modification agents for fragrance. it can also be applied to glass prism
6. this product exists in the natural storax with a fruit-like aroma and the atmosphere being clear and sweet with oriental fragrance. it has excellent effect when being used in combination with the natural fruit essential oils with the effect being better for fragrance, perfume and flavor. it can also be used in edible waxberry essence.
It can be obtained through the esterification between cinnamic acid and ethanol in the presence of sulfuric acid with a yield of about 60%. It can also be derived through the reaction bewteen benzaldehyde and ethyl acetate.
It can be obtained through the reaction between benzaldehyde and ethyl acetate in the presence of sodium metal.
It is derived from the heating of cinnamic acid, ethanol and sulfuric acid to 100 °C in the presence of aluminum sulfate.
Ethyl cinnamate (Cinnamic acid ethyl ester) Test Results:
Items of analysis
DOWNLOAD - Ethyl Cinnamate-TDS.pdf